Movable Type 3.1 and stuff

It's time I revive this web site. I need to upgrade to MT 3.x myself. I can't believe I've put it off for so long, but time has just not been on my side of late. I'll also be moving it to another server soon, so if the site is dark for a day or two, don‘t say I didn't warn you.

I'm in San Francisco, working at the new place and it's been a great week. My job at the moment revolves around the dynamic publishing feature I created for Movable Type. I've got a lot to document about it. The API, plugin development and so forth. There will be some tutorials published shortly on the Six Apart Professional Network. If you haven't joined yet, you should -- it's free!

And yes, it's true-- PHP doesn't run Perl (Yes, I'm aware of the PHP 5 PECL extension that runs Perl. But it is for PHP 5 and we had to target PHP 4. Even then, it's not a native PHP 5 module, so it would require compilation and installation to run. It's also classed as an experimental module. Etcetera.). If PHP could run Perl natively, imagine how many WordPress/Textpattern users would be using the Perl MT plugins already! So I will also be porting some of my plugins to run under PHP (you can vote for your favorites through the comments here). You have to have a different mindset too when dealing with dynamic publishing. The plugin code I wrote for MT/Perl runs OK for static publishing, but I would take a different approach in many cases with a dynamic model. Caching data a little better goes a long way.

There's a lot of PHP out there to leverage too. Most notably, Textile, Markdown and SmartyPants are all available.

I should also mention that David Raynes (who did the sub-category support for MT 3.1) has created a migration tool that will be helpful to anyone that was using his subcategories plugin prior to the 3.1 release.

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Movable Type 3.1 and stuff:

» A champ and a retard from tbuddy
I guess I am half retarded this evening or missing something, but it seems that a minor bit of additional tweaking should put me closer to having all of my textiling goodness work out for the site, which will ultimately... [Read More]

» A champ and a retard from tbuddy

Arvind said:

Macros and Regex all the way - yes I know I can use the regex already in Smarty but I like MTRegex :P

Donna said:

Well, Macros, but really, Paginate. I'd be MT 3.11 all the way if there were a clever PHP-based way to paginate my category archives (because I'm using category archives as my main archives). Just thought I'd mention it, because I know the discussion of "which plugins should we update next" is surely raging - I'm voting with my mouse.

Bryan Buchs said:

MTRegex, absolutely!

Brad, since I implemented Smarty in my MT 2.x templates based on your how-to, I'd sure like to hear about how to migrate from that setup to MT 3.1x dynamic rendering.

I'll be converting my own Smarty blog to be fully dynamic before long. I'll take some notes as I go...

Arvind said:

Hah I'm just happy I struggled with the Smarty thing, waited a month and it was automated hehe !

tbuddy said:

I really liked the php handling of MT 3.1 out of the box in testing, but have still found myself waiting for your Textile2 to work for it, or for me to get the ingenuity to solve as to why it errors. I hope I am not the only one failing with dynamic building with it. That textile2 plugin is the greatest thing for me, taking precendence over anything else in movable type, textpattern, blosxom or wordpress for me. It is all textile2 for me, the dynamic templates can wait. I kind of like static entries in principal, and like dean and your markup well enough to stick it out.

ike said:

Absolutely, MTRegex! Please.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to your notes!

Speaking of dynamic templating in the core MT product, do you plan to extend it to cgi features like search results and comment preview, or should I look into the following hacks?

dj blurb said:

Brad,

I'm updating the Mrs. site (dooce.com) and running into hoary plug-in issues. All of her posts used Textile... Textile doesn't work so good with dynamic publishing. Is there a way (or a script) to change all posts to "Convert Line Breaks"??

Also, any idea about your supplemental category plug-in being ported??

You are a rocker.

Speaking of, we're having weird character problems with 3.x. For instance, you’ve is created instead of you've (with a proper apostrophe slant). Seen that before? Is it a plugin problem, or MT itself?

ania said:

Hah I’m just happy I struggled with the Smarty thing, waited a month and it was automated hehe !

ania said:

nasiona

FyrFli said:

My vote? MTMacro! What an absolutely wonderful plugin!!! I am devastated at having to disable dynamic publishing at the mo... so, I would dearly love to see it in php.

Hats off to you Brad!

the °fyr°

All my hundreds of existing blog entries use the textile2 plugin for MT 2.6. If I understand correctly, that means none of the dynamic publishing features of MT 3.x will work unless either (1) I convent all the archives to another formatting system (ouch!) or (2) you (or someone else, but who else would that be?) release an MT3.x version of textile compatible with existing textile2 entries, *or* a tool to convert them to another formatting system that works with MT3, where the ppreferred formatting scheme seems to be "markdown". You can say, "You should have thought about that before you enterred all your content in a format dependent on my plugin", and you would be right... but now it would be prohibitively labor-intensive to convert all my archives manually, and markdown doesn't seem nearly as intuitive to me anyway. So I vote for an MT3/dynamic publishing version of textile2, if and only if it is compatible with existing MT2.6/textile2 entries.

Dennis said:

Key/values please!!!

This article was published on September 8, 2004 1:47 PM.

The article previously posted was Go West, Young Man.

The next article is delicious tip of the day.